Sunday, December 11, 2005

JDeveloper 10.1.3 EA

I have been getting a lot of use out of the new version of JDeveloper 10.1.3. So far I feel Oracle has achieved their goals of improving the IDE and beef up refactoring and modeling capabilities. As someone who generally stays away from non-production releases, I have found myself using both 10.1.2 and 10.1.3.

I have always struggled with the modeling features in 10.1.2. They just didn't seem to perform everything I wanted them to do. I am now using the modeling features of 10.1.3 to get past many of the limitations I was seeing. I still have all of my production code in version 10.1.2 but my diagrams are in 10.1.3. I am accomplishing this by setting path settings in my 10.1.3 modeling project to include the source paths of my 10.1.2 model, view and testing projects.

As mentioned, I have a model, view and test project in 10.1.2. This is the actual code that will be deployed to our production servers. My directory structure looks simiar to the following:

c:\projects\MyProject
c:\projects\MyProject\Model
c:\projects\MyProject\ViewController
c:\projects\MyProject\Test

In c:\projects\MyProject resides my workspace file for the 10.1.2 projects. I have also created another workspace in c:\projects\MyProject that is used by 10.1.3. I have created a project named ArchitectureDiagrams in the directory:

c:\projects\MyProject\ArchitectureDiagrams

In my ArchitectureDiagrams project (10.1.3), I open the project settings and add the model, view, and test project source paths to the Java Content settings. After I have done that, JDeveloper 10.1.3 with it's dynamic directory structures automattically pulls in the files from the other projects.

Once I have completed these steps, I can start leveraging 10.1.3 features. Specifically, I am creating use-case and activity diagrams. I am creating class diagrams by simplying dragging and dropping classes onto the diagram. This is great help in keeping my diagrams in sync with my code. Finally, I can also actually open the java files that I created in 10.1.2 and use the additional features of 10.1.3 such as refactoring and code development features.

I do swap between the two different version of JDeveloper and whenever I make a change to a java file in 10.1.3, I make sure the code is still working as I will be deploying and testing using JDeveloper 10.1.2. This approach has allowed me to use the new features of JDeveloper and not lock me into using a tool that is not production release. Although I really don't want to loose my diagrams, I at least will be able to always get support for my production code in case I need it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,

I am one of the lead developers on the modelers in JDeveloper I would be interested to hear about any outstanding issues you have with the modelers. It appears from your post that you are reasonably happy with what we have produced in 10.1.3; but I would be interested to hear about any niggling, or indeed serious, problems that might remain.

Thanks

Gerard Davison