Tuesday, January 10, 2006

JDeveloper, Time for a Name Change?

I've been using JDeveloper for a long time, even since it's inception. If I remember correctly, Oracle developed it then started using Borland's JBuilder and then finally completely rewrote everything themselves. I wish I would have kept some of those first builds, it would be nice to go back and look at the changes.

I think the software has always been called JDeveloper. The name fit the first builds of this software as it was for Java Developers. As we all know, JDeveloper has evolved and now includes a large range of features. JDeveloper can now be productively used by developers, software architects, data architects, requirements specifiers and more. The tool can even be used for additional languages such as PL/SQL and PHP.

Since the name "JDeveloper" no longer fits, I personally think there should be a name change. There is another IDE out there named Eclipse. I'm not sure why it is called that, maybe because it is supposed to "eclipse" all other tools out there. I think it is called that because I was in complete darkness trying to get productive in the tool. There are also IDE's named Net Beans, JBuilder, and others.

All of the Oracle tools are generally named according to their functionality. Forms, for developing GUI forms applications. Reports, for writing reports. But JDeveloper one would think was only for Java Developers.

I'm not sure what the new name should be. The big word at Oracle right now is Fusion. Fusion means "An occurrence that involves the production of a union". Maybe Fusion is a better name as JDeveloper combines several technologies and makes you productive. At least this name isn't misleading like JDeveloper.

3 comments:

LewisC said...

Steve,

I still have the Oracle CD for, I think, 3.1. Maybe it's 3.21. It's in a box in my closet. That was the version I learned Java on.

As far as a name, how about Horizon, as in that's what's on. heh

Thanks,

LewisC
http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/oracle/guide/

Anonymous said...

There are significant costs associated with renaming a product, i.e. marketing, advertising, changing inside and outside of code, etc. Additionally, you lose your brand identity, particuarly if your brand is long-lived, like JDeveloper (remember Inprise, anyone?)

Besides that, it would just be plain annoying. IMHO, you should never confuse marketing with product; Fusion is marketing, JDeveloper is a product. Imagine the conversations: "yeah, I use fusion, you know, JDeveloper." Thanks, I'll pass.

Anonymous said...

Heh. We are using Fusion as the internal name for the next release of JDeveloper (11.0), but I agree with anonymous that it would be a indistinct product name (not to mention that a whole bunch of other products fall under the "Fusion" brand).